Announcing Armistice Day events Nov 10-11, including one at Hamline University
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 08:44:24 -0700 (PDT)
Patti forwarded the message from Coleen Rowley.  Patti wonders if
anyone on this list could send it to any churches (or high schools) in
your area.  Patti thanks you. All was posted by Fred the Pax Salon mailing
list manager after a bit of reformatting and editing.

Colleen wrote:
Hi everyone who might be able to help send out our info about the
upcoming Armistice Day events to local churches and departments who
might be interested.  The CBN "Church Directory by zip code 55104 :
Go to http://www1.cbn.com/spiritual-life/church-directory
then put in 55104 which yields 42 churches near Hamline and I have
sent to most on the first page (which I will try to finish tonight)
but only on the second page to St. Albans, St Marks, Christ Community
and St. Mary's Episcopal; and none to any on the 3rd page.  Some
churches are so small, they don't have online email contacts so I'd
say just skip them (or send via hard mail).  I had thought of trying
to send to the U of MN's (or the other university's and colleges'
political science and history departments and also to high school
social studies teachers, also maybe there are some clubs or veteran
organizations, if we google for them?)

Here is my sample cover e-mail below that I sent to a church in St.
Paul.   Coleen R.

Dear Pastors and Staff:

Hello!

Please let members of your church know they are kindly invited to
attend the Armistice Day speaking events that will take place
Sat Nov 10 and Sun Nov 11 at three different locations in the Twin
Cities, including one at nearby Hamline University.  These events are
being organized by the anti-torture committee of our 34 year old,
non-profit peace organization, the Women Against Military Madness.

The two on Saturday in particular may interest your members.  The
first is a discussion to be held from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm in Room 100
E, Giddens Learning Center, Hamline University with Professor David
Schultz moderating.

The second, at the First Unitarian Society (FUS)
http://www.firstunitarian.org at 900 Mount Curve Avenue, in
Minneapolis, is an "Interfaith Service of Lamentation and Hope" led by
one of our guest speakers, Rev Chris Antal, former US military
chaplain in Afghanistan.  This will be followed directly by a forum at
FUS with Rev Antal and our other guest, Lawrence Wilkerson, retired US
Army Colonel.  The service is from 6-7 pm, followed by refreshments,
and the forum is at 7:30-8:30.

The forum topics are these questions:

"Does our increased militarization cause abuses of power both abroad
and at home?"

"Could counter-terrorism be counterproductive?"

Our press release and flyer with all pertinent information that can be
posted or put in a church bulletin. They are at:
http://www.justcomm.org/temp/armistice_day_flier.pdf
http://www.justcomm.org/temp/armistice_press.pdf

We live in "interesting" times as the Chinese curse goes.  Good
information, sober, humane and kind assessment followed by action is
required from all of us.  I hope you will encourage your fellow
members to come hear these knowledgeable and inspiring speakers.

Yours,

Coleen Rowley
Member, Tackling Torture at the Top, a Committee of WAMM,
Women Against Military Madness, http://worldwidewamm.org

"Power is always dangerous.  Power attracts the worst and corrupts the best."
--Edward Abbey

  • (no other messages in thread)